Note: This vacancy is now closed
This is a fantastic opportunity for a creative and ambitious film-maker and producer to join a very talented team – leading from the front with creative, planning and technical skill. Our showreel will give you a flavour of the kind of engaging video content we’re currently producing, however, at RV we are constantly trying to push the envelope, every year our clients trust us more and more, they provide greater budgets and increasingly rely on our creative ability.
We want you to lead our video team, challenging your new colleagues and our clients to produce incredible video content that creates an emotional connection and inspires the audience. Your experience will bring a fresh approach to our productions and help to build upon the already strong portfolio, taking RV to the next level of video production.
Why Work at RV?
Revolution Viewing is a leading Creative Digital Agency that produces world-class solutions. We are a team of 33 people and operate as niche specialists at the top of our game; this is why over 80 UK universities and some of the UK’s largest home-builders keep coming back for more! See what makes us tick – http://www.revolutionviewing.com/about
RV Team Video: http://www.revolutionviewing.com/about/
RV Office 360 virtual tour: https://revv.eu/rv-office
Work-life Balance Manifesto
The feedback we receive from our team suggests that this is an unusual policy for an agency, hence the mention here in the job spec. This is from Tom, our CEO: “You will get paid for the hours you work or you will be given the time back.” Quite simply, you will never be asked to work more hours than contracted, without receiving that time back in lieu or being paid overtime. Note that travelling to and from video shoots is logged as “working time” at RV, so arriving back late from a shoot means you get time back or paid additional hours.
Job Remit – over-arching video department items
- Lead and inspire the video team with your creative ideas and vision.
- Either lead or offer creative direction on our higher profile video productions.
- Be responsible for the general creative video process, engaging with our experienced Producers, to improve current systems and processes.
- Advise on technical production elements such as lighting plans, equipment hire/purchases and any other elements that contribute towards shooting the next level of professional high production value videos for RV.
- Review all higher profile and/or complex videos produced and offer detailed critique to improve the video in question and future productions. Advising on overall look and grading of videos.
- Lead video department meetings and train / advise team members when required.
- Client pitches – current requirement is only once every two or three months, supporting our Client Services team in higher profile projects where a pitch is required (many projects go from an RV Client Service meeting to quote, straight through to approval – without a pitch required).
- Regularly assist and advise our two Producers on all aspects of Video Production and project management when required.
- Location shoots and client discovery (kick-off) meetings are likely to result in staying in a hotel an average of three or four nights per month.
- You will report to the CEO and you will be the line manager for two Producers.
Job Remit – Items relating to each project
- You will manage each project you are responsible for right from the point where it is passed over form RV Client Services (the client agrees to proceed) to the point where the project files are delivered, after which RV Client Services will carry out a debrief with the client.
- Attend client discovery (kick-off) meetings and recce.
- Assemble the internal creative team and lead on the development of creative concepts, storyboards (designer to assist) and the writing of scripts and treatments.
Liaise with clients through-out the pre-production process, discussing creative elements and shoot scheduling.
- When on location you will Produce/Direct the shoot, usually with one or two camera operators and a sound recordist when required. You will be predominantly working with our university clients, the type of shoot will vary greatly, see our portfolio for examples.
- During post-production you will oversee the edit, working alongside our production team to ensure that the video remains aligned with the outcomes agreed in the brief.
- You will lead on any major decisions and advise the Senior Associate Producer on responses to be sent to the client through-out the process.
You will ultimately be responsible for the budget spend on your projects.
- Note that the Senior Associate Producer will act as first point of contact for most of the clients you work with.
Key Skills, Job Tasks, Experience and General Outlook
To achieve the upper-level of the salary range you must provide evidence that you have exceeded each of the key skills required. If you don’t have the relevant experience and require further training/time to reach the required skill level, then this will be reflected in the salary offered.
- An accomplished manager with leadership qualities.
- Fantastic communication, delegation and management skills are required. Each to be delivered with confidence. This is of paramount importance when on a shoot.
- The ability to listen and consider the comments and advice given by team members. However, you must be able to operate autonomously and make sound judgement calls based upon your experience and the evidence presented to you in any given situation. You will have the confidence to make a judgement call even if it is difficult and doesn’t please all team members.
- The ability to come up with creative concepts with great speed and to communicate your vision with clarity and passion when relaying your ideas to clients and the RV internal team.
- Know how to direct and advise a crew to beautifully light a scene and compose a shot – the creative and production benchmark that you will need to demonstrate you have previously achieved is as per the videos highlighted in the section “RV Video : The future” within this job spec.
- Achieving a desired look during the grade is something that you will have had vast experience of – you will be able to discuss and advise on the artistic merits of different film looks and grades.
- Extremely confident when communicating with clients, offering professional reassurance and security – the client is to feel that they are in experienced and safe hands.
- Have the ability to quickly grasp sophisticated client requirements, solve client problems, arrive at a solution and eloquently communicate the solution.
- Work through client / project issues, using good judgement to arrive at balanced conclusions that are always in keeping with the RV core values.
- Commercial experience: you will have produced, managed and directed numerous large-scale video projects, from conception to completion.
- Exceptional communication skills: you can build and maintain strong client relationships and confidently handle crucial and sometimes challenging client negotiations.
- You understand how to read, manage and produce Gantt charts.
- Creative flair & eye for detail: you review and suggest refinements to works-in-progress.
- Must have – At least five years of experience as Director in a commercial capacity, working on corporate commercial projects.
- Must have – Previous experience working within a digital agency or video production company is essential.
- Must have – Experience of Producing/Directing both broadcast video and video for web.
- Must have – A portfolio of outstanding video work on a par with videos seen in the section “RV Video : The future” within this job spec.
- Must have – Proven experience of delivering multiple projects within tight time-frames.
- Desirable – a background in camera operating and editing.
- Desirable – five years or more of management experience.
- An insatiable passion for film making with an energetic and positive approach to work.
- You need to be calm under pressure and resilient, whilst you will be paid overtime or be able to take that time back in lieu, there will be long days when shooting and attending client discovery meetings.
- Non-smoking applicants are preferred as we can’t accommodate smoking breaks outside of the lunch break.
Recent RV Video Projects
Uni of Derby: http://revv.eu/derby-internal-brand-animation
Leeds Beckett: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlY3Xu5FUSg
RV Video : The Future
We’re proud of our work, but we aspire to creating videos that are as inspirational and ambitious as the following examples. If you also aspire to producing this quality of work, then this job could be for you.
Uni of Western Sydney: https://vimeo.com/137547531
Story telling: https://vimeo.com/183390639
Stress Break: https://vimeo.com/142471060
10 reasons to apply for a role with Revolution Viewing
- We have a Work-life Balance Manifesto that is policy!
- We produce sector-leading digital media products.
- Our team tell us RV is a great place to work.
- Our clients love what we do and our client satisfaction is extremely high.
- Free lunch – there is such a thing and it happens every day at RV!
- Every three months we have a team meal, on the company.
- Holiday loyalty scheme – extra holidays for years of service.
- Individual objectives set in annual appraisals and progress reviewed in monthly 1-2-1 meeting with line manager.
- We share our strategy, including mission, direction and financial progress.
- We offer a thorough induction and comprehensive training for your career.
Our Core Values
These values are a key consideration when hiring a new team member; we need to feel each team member shares these values.
- Respect for people
- Veritably fun working environment (contribution to)
- Sustainable progression (we don’t make rash decisions that jeopardise the company)
- Honesty & integrity
- Innovative & dynamic
- Passion & pride (in all we do)
See top of this document for the application deadline. Send your email to: email@example.com
- Please let us know how soon you could start if you are offered a job.
- Let us know where you heard about this vacancy.
- The time & dates of assessment are 3-8pm Thursday 12th April 2018 & 3-8pm Tuesday 17th April 2018. Please let us know if you can be available on these dates. Note you will only be required to attend one of the assessment sessions.
- Attach your current CV.
- Include your showreel or links to at least five videos you have Produced/Directed.
- Attach a 10 line cover letter outlining how you will add value to our company.
For updates on Revolution Viewing and any vacancies, we recommend you follow us on our social media channels: www.revolutionviewing.com/social
No recruitment agencies – thank you
- Location: Leeds (LS12 2DU)
- Salary: £34,000 - £42,000
- Hours of Work: 42.5 hours per week, flexible working day with ‘core hours’ 9am-5pm
- Annual Leave: 30 days including bank holidays (flexible up to 35 days with pro-rata salary reduction)
- Pension: Contribution to a pension in line with the mandatory government Workplace pension scheme
- Application Deadline: Tuesday 3rd April 2018