Junior Frontend Developer
At Revolution Viewing, we empower people to make life-changing decisions – this is our mission.
We do that by producing digital solutions to help prospective students to select their perfect university and home buyers to select their perfect home. Our clients are universities and top home builders from all over the UK and we are the leading rich media supplier in both sectors.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an enthusiastic individual with a good eye for design and solid communication skills to join a talented team at a very exciting time in our company’s growth. Building on the 15+ years of experience we’ve had creating virtual tours for universities and a research programme that looked to establish what prospective students really wanted, in February 2021 we launched our new virtual experience platform, Vepple.
Now in use by more than 15 UK universities, we’re looking for a frontend developer at the start of their development career to grow with this rapidly expanding product. We don’t expect you to have loads of corporate/technical experience – we’re more interested in core values, an eye for design, your passion for learning and good communication skills.
We think Vepple will be a game-changer for prospective students when making the choice as to which university they should attend. With positive feedback from clients to date, it’s an incredibly exciting time to join the team as the opportunities for growth are huge.
Working at RV
Why work at RV?
Revolution Viewing is a leading visual content and technology business that produces world-class solutions. We are a team of 20 people and operate as niche specialists at the top of our game; this is why over 110 UK universities and some of the UK’s largest home builders keep coming back for more! See what makes us tick – www.revolutionviewing.com/about-us
Working from office / home
The Board is keen to provide employees with the flexibility to choose working patterns and working locations (office, home, hybrid) that will support their work-life balance, maintain our great working culture and encourage team collaboration. All of our employees currently have the freedom to choose where they work from, be that from home or the office. A number of our team regularly make use of our office situated on Kirkstall Rd on the outskirts of Leeds City Centre. This office space provides work stations, collaborative / break-out space, a formal meeting room and plenty of free car parking spaces.
Work-life balance manifesto
The feedback we receive from our team suggests that this is an unusual policy for such a business, hence the mention here in the job spec. This is from Tom, our CEO: “You will get paid for the hours you work or you will be given the time back.” Quite simply, you will never be asked to work more hours than contracted, without receiving that time back in lieu or being paid overtime.
Ten reasons to apply for a role with Revolution Viewing
- We have a Work-life Balance Manifesto that is policy!
- Our team tell us RV is a great place to work
- We produce sector-leading digital media products
- Our clients love what we do and our client satisfaction is extremely high
- Every six weeks we have a whole team catch-up / social
- Holiday loyalty scheme – extra holidays for years of service
- Individual objectives set in annual appraisals and progress reviewed in monthly 1:1 meeting with your line manager
- We share our strategy, including mission, direction and financial progress
- We offer a thorough induction and comprehensive training for your career
- Potential for a team-wide bonus from our Company Bonus Scheme
Our core values
These values are a key consideration when hiring a new team member; we need to feel each team member shares these values:
- Respect for people
- Vibe (contribution to a great environment)
- Sustainable progression (we don’t make rash decisions that jeopardise the company)
- Honesty & integrity
- Innovative & dynamic
- Passion & pride (in all we do)
A Day in the Life
Your primary focus will be maintaining and improving our core product, Vepple, a Vue app built using the Quasar framework that reads from an API using REST and GraphQL. Every morning, we meet as a team (virtually, most of the time) to discuss what everyone is working on and any barriers to them doing their work. Work on Vepple will be briefed to you in one of two ways depending on type as follows:
- Planned development of new features in line with our product roadmap. These are discussed in our sprint planning meetings. You’ll contribute your ideas around what should be included in the sprint and you’ll have the opportunity to flesh out the details of individual tasks with our experienced Web Developers who’ll run through the objectives of the task along with detailed acceptance criteria for you to benchmark your work against.
- Bug fixing issues that are flagged by clients or our internal QA process. These are typically more ad-hoc and involve technical problem-solving and good communication.
In situations where you feel less confident, you’ll be supported by the other developers and encouraged to ask questions and draw on their experience to learn the best way of approaching the task. Where more formal training is required, this will be provided.
Example Vepple sites:
To achieve the upper-level of the salary range you must provide evidence that you have at least 2 years’ experience in a similar role, ideally within a SaSS business and in fulfilling each of the job remits below. If you don’t have the relevant experience and require further training/time to reach the required skill level, then this will be reflected in the salary offered.
- Web Development: Developing the frontend of virtual tours (of our Vepple platform) for our Higher Education clients with a particular focus on styling and visual finesse
- Web Development: Attending ”Tech / Sprint” meetings, learning from and contributing to the solutions to barriers and improvements for our products and taking responsibility for completing tasks to deadline
- Customer Support: Assisting with client feedback tickets, fixing bugs and providing excellent customer service
- Quality Assurance: You’ll review and feedback on the work of the team to ensure quality standards are met, particularly in terms of visual appearance
- Contribute to the maintenance of our internal websites
- Contribution to the maintenance of our Home Builder web products
Key Skills, Experience & General Outlook
To achieve the upper-level of the salary range you must provide evidence that you have exceeded each of the key skills required. If you don’t have the relevant experience and require further training/time to reach the required skill level, then this will be reflected in the salary offered.
You must have:
- A good eye for design and a desire to build visually appealing applications
- Good communication skills and be excited by the prospect of working with like-minded individuals to deliver a common shared goal
- The ability to listen and consider the comments and advice given by team members then put this into practice
- A strong attention to detail with a natural disposition to seeing and wanting to fix even minor issues
- The confidence and ability to work with code produced by others
It will be a bonus if you’re familiar with:
- Graphic design principles and software including Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
How to apply
See the top of this job spec for the application deadline.
Send your email to: email@example.com
Your application must include the following information:
1. Please let us know how soon you could start if you are offered a job
2. Let us know where you heard about this vacancy
3. As part of our recruitment process we will be conducting 1st stage interviews (via video call) before inviting successful candidates to assessment/2nd stage interviews at our offices. The dates of the 1st stage interviews will be Friday 27th or Monday 30th January (times for video interviews will be confirmed with candidates following the application deadline). Please let us know if you can be available on these dates. Note: you will only be required to attend one of these dates
4. Applicants successful at the 1st interview stage will then be invited to assessment/2nd stage interview at our offices. The dates for assessment/2nd stage interview are Friday 3rd and Tuesday 7th February (approx. 10:30am – 5pm; however times will be confirmed following 1st stage interviews). Again, please let us know if you can be available on these dates and again, you will only be required to attend one of these dates. Note: whilst this session is long in duration, we make our decision based on this one session. Feedback suggests candidates find it useful spending this time in our working environment (COVID-19 guidelines permitting)
5. Attach your current CV
6. Attach a 10-line cover letter outlining how you will add value to our company
Please note: the successful candidate must, by the start of their employment, have permission to work in the UK.
For updates on Revolution Viewing and any vacancies, we recommend you follow us on our social media channels.
How will RV use the information about you?
We will use your data to process your application, including complying with any legal obligations, to enable us to manage the recruitment process. We will only share your data with relevant parties as part of our recruitment process and we will not share your data for marketing or employment purposes outside of RV. For more information on RV’s job applicant privacy notice, please follow this link.
No recruitment agencies – thank you.
Location: Hybrid working with a requirement for in-person (in Leeds) meet-ups, up to 1 day per week (more during the first few weeks for onboarding and so you can get to know the team!). Our address is 103 Kirkstall Road, Leeds, LS3 1JL
Salary: £20,000 – £25,000 P/A (plus the potential for a bonus from our company bonus scheme – qualifying criteria applies)
Hours of Work: Full-time: 40 hrs P/W
Annual Leave: 28 days including bank holidays (flexible up to 33 days with pro-rata salary reduction)
Annual leave loyalty scheme kicks in after first full year of employment
Pension: Contribution to a pension in line with the mandatory government workplace pension scheme
Application Deadline: Monday 23rd January 2023
Why work at RV?
We’re a leading visual content and technology business at the top of our game. We produce world-class solutions for our clients – this is why over 110 UK universities and the UK’s largest home builders keep coming back for more!
We have a work-life balance policy!
You will never be asked to work more than your contracted hours without receiving that time back either in lieu or as paid overtime (your choice).
Best at what we do
We produce sector-leading digital products and our client satisfaction is extremely high
An open and honest approach
We share company strategy and financial progress with the team every quarter and review Objectives and Key Results together
Fun and friendly team
Every six weeks we have a whole team catch-up/social
Holiday loyalty scheme
Receive extra holiday for years of service