At Revolution Viewing, we empower people to make life changing decisions – this is our mission. We do that by producing digital solutions to help prospective students to select their perfect university and home buyers to select their perfect home. Our clients are universities and top home builders from all over the UK and we are the leading rich media supplier in both sectors.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an enthusiastic individual with good communication skills to join a talented team at a very exciting time in our company’s growth. Building on the 15+ years of experience we’ve had creating virtual tours for universities and a research programme that looked to establish what prospective students really wanted, in February 2021 we launched our new virtual experience platform, Vepple. Now in use by more than 10 UK universities, we’re looking for a frontend developer at the start of their development career to grow with this rapidly expanding product. The right individual won’t necessarily have load of corporate/technical experience, we’re more interested in core values, your passion for learning and good communication skills.
We think Vepple will be a game-changer for prospective students when making the choice as to which university they should attend. Being only 1 year into this new platform but with positive feedback from clients to date, it’s an incredibly exciting time to join the team as the opportunities for growth are huge.
A Day in the Life
Your primary focus will be maintaining and improving our core product, Vepple, a Vue app built using the Quasar framework that reads from an API using REST and GraphQL. Every morning, we meet as a team (virtually, most of the time) to discuss what everyone is working on and any barriers to them doing their work. Work on Vepple will be briefed into you in one of two ways depending on type as follows:
- Planned development of new features in line with our product roadmap. These are discussed in our sprint planning meetings. You’ll contribute your ideas around what should be included in the sprint and you’ll have the opportunity to flesh out the details of individual tasks with our experienced Frontend Developers who’ll run through the objectives of the task along with detailed acceptance criteria for you to benchmark your work against.
- Bug fixing issues that are flagged by clients or our internal QA process. These are typically more ad-hoc and involve technical problem solving and good communication.
In situations where you feel less confident or want to validate your approach, we’d expect you to be working closely with our Frontend Developers, asking questions and drawing on their experience to learn the best way of approaching the task. Where more formal training is required, this will be provided.
Example Vepple sites
Skills & Experience
To achieve the upper-level of the salary range you must provide evidence that you have exceeded each of the key skills required. If you don’t have the relevant experience and require further training/time to reach the required skill level, then this will be reflected in the salary offered.
You must have:
- Good communication skills and be excited by the prospect of working with like minded individuals to deliver a common shared goal
- The ability to quickly grasp sophisticated requirements, solve problems, arrive at a solution and eloquently communicate the solution
- The ability to listen and consider the comments and advice given by team members then put this into practice
- A strong attention to detail with a natural disposition to seeing and wanting to fix even minor issues
- The confidence and ability to work with code produced by others
It will be a bonus if you’re familiar with:
- CLIs – Webpack, Rollup etc
- RESTful APIs
Working at RV
Revolution Viewing is a leading Creative Digital Agency that produces world-class solutions. We are a team of 27 people and operate as niche specialists at the top of our game; this is why over 100 UK universities and some of the UK’s largest home builders keep coming back for more!
Working from Home/Office
Like many businesses, RV’s employees have supported the government’s efforts and followed their advice by working from home for an extended period. During this time RV has been able to maintain its operations and close-knit culture (lots of hard graft and video calls followed by virtual Friday afternoon drinks!) As such, the Board is keen to provide employees with the flexibility to choose working patterns and working locations (office, home, hybrid) that will support their work-life balance, maintain our great working culture and encourage team collaboration. How we use our office space moving forwards will be different and it will be driven by our culture, our needs and ultimately our people!
Work-life balance manifesto
The feedback we receive from our team suggests that this is an unusual policy for an agency, hence the mention here in the job spec. This is from Tom, our CEO: “You will get paid for the hours you work or you will be given the time back.” Quite simply, you will never be asked to work more hours than contracted, without receiving that time back in lieu or being paid overtime.
Please note: other than your lunch break, we do not accommodate smoking breaks.
10 Reasons to Apply for a Role with Revolution Viewing
- We produce sector-leading digital media products
- Our team tell us RV is a great place to work
- Our clients love what we do and our client satisfaction is extremely high
- Every three months we have a team social (COVID permitting!)
- Holiday loyalty scheme – extra holidays for years of service
- Individual objectives set in annual appraisals and progress reviewed in monthly 1:1 meeting with your line manager
- We have a Work-life Balance Manifesto that is policy!
- Potential for a team-wide bonus from our RV Bonus Scheme
- We share our strategy, including mission, direction and financial progress
- We offer a thorough induction and comprehensive training for your career
Our Core Values
These values are a key consideration when hiring a new team member; we need to feel each team member shares these values:
- Respect for people
- Veritably fun working environment (contribution to)
- Sustainable progression (we don’t make rash decisions that jeopardise the company)
- Honesty & integrity
- Innovative & dynamic
- Passion & pride (in all we do)
- See top of this page for the application deadline.
- Send your email to: email@example.com
- Your application must include the following information:
- Please let us know how soon you could start if you are offered a job
- Let us know where you heard about this vacancy
- As part of our recruitment process we will be conducting 1st stage interviews (via video call) before inviting successful candidates to assessment/2nd stage interviews at our offices. The dates of the 1st stage interviews will be the 5th, 6th & 7th January (times for video interviews will be confirmed with candidates following the application deadline). Please let us know if you can be available on these dates. Note: you will only be required to attend one of these dates
- Applicants successful at the 1st interview stage will then be invited to assessment/2nd stage interview at our offices. The dates for assessment/2nd stage interview are the 11th & 18th January, approx. 10:45am – 5pm; however times will be confirmed following 1st stage interviews. Again, please let us know if you can be available on these dates and again, you will only be required to attend one of these dates. Note: whilst this session is long in duration, we make our decision based on this one session. Feedback suggests candidates find it useful spending this time in our working environment (COVID-19 guidelines permitting)
- Attach your current CV
- Attach a 10-line cover letter outlining how you will add value to our company
Please note: the successful candidate must, by the start of their employment, have permission to work in the UK.
For updates on Revolution Viewing and any vacancies, we recommend you follow us on our social media channels.
How will RV use the information about you?
We will use your data to process your application, including complying with any legal obligations, to enable us to manage the recruitment process. We will only share your data with relevant parties as part of our recruitment process and we will not share your data for marketing or employment purposes outside of RV. For more information on RV’s job applicant privacy notice, please follow this link.
No recruitment agencies – thank you.