At Revolution Viewing, we empower people to make life changing decisions – this is our mission. We do that by producing rich media solutions to help prospective students to select their perfect university and home buyers to select their perfect home. Our clients are universities and the top home builders all over the UK and we are the leading rich media supplier in both sectors.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a creative and well organised individual to join a very talented team. You will be joining our Higher Education (HE) Video team that currently consists of: 1 Associate Producer & Traffic Manager, 1 Lead Editor, and a close-knit team of video freelancers / former RV employees covering Video Producer, Associate Producer, Camera Ops, Sound Recordist, Editor & Motion Graphics roles who’ve been working alongside RV for the past 4+ years. We also have 2 Senior Photographers/Videographers who predominantly work on the Home Builder side of our business, but who also have many years of experience supporting our HE Video team with on location shoots.
You will work very closely with the team outlined above, with these guys being your technical and creative arms, helping you to achieve your vision for each project.
Your primary focus will be on the production of videos for our HE clients (universities). Our video portfolio on our website should give you a feel for the kind of videos we’ve created in the past, but at RV we don’t stand still, we’re all about what we can achieve moving forward, we’re constantly pushing the creative envelope and we have a solid reputation within the HE sector for creating some of the most creative and engaging video content around.
Typical route of progression would be promotion to a Head of Video role.
A Day in the Life
You will be required to manage multiple projects at a time, using our internal management system to ensure all projects run to schedule, to budget and are delivered according to the brief supplied by our clients.
When a HE video project is converted by our Client Services team it passes over to you. From this point onwards, you will have full contact with the project right up to the point where the assets are delivered to the client and the invoice issued.
Often you will arrange a date with the client for the Discovery meeting where you will discuss project requirements and lead on the creation of a brief for the project. From here you will refine the requirements and be responsible for the creation of all pre-production assets, storyboards, scripts, treatments etc. Once you have agreement from the client on the brief for the project, on location shoot dates have been confirmed and the pre-project payment has been received, you will be responsible for selecting and booking the resource and kit required for the shoot.
You will assemble the on location crew and kit and, depending upon location, sometimes stay away in a hotel the night before the shoot commences as well as any intervening nights over the duration of the shoot. You will be responsible for leading the RV crew throughout the shoot, ensuring all required footage is captured along with managing the client as their main point of contact.
Once the shoot has finished and you’re back at the RV office you will be responsible for ensuring your post-production team are fully briefed on the project requirements (be that edit or motion graphics etc.). You will be responsible for internal review stages and providing feedback to the post-production team, ensuring absolute best quality is delivered to the client at their respective project review stages. There you will liaise with the client to gather feedback from all project stakeholders and guide the project through the client feedback & amends stages. For any client requests which are outside of the scope of the project, you will be responsible for providing the client with a quote, gaining approval of any costs and ensuring these costs are accounted for in the final invoice.
Upon the client’s final review and approval of the project, you will be responsible for arranging the delivery of the final assets to the client along with the final invoice for the project. All that’s left to do now is feedback the wonderful comments the fully satisfied client made to your team on the project and then pass the client back over to our client services team for a project debrief and discussion about any future project requirements – great job done!
Video Project Examples
To achieve the upper-level of the salary range you must provide evidence that you have at least 2 years experience in each of the job remits below. If you don’t have the relevant experience and require further training/time to reach the required skill level, then this will be reflected in the salary offered.
- Responsibility for a project right from the point where you are briefed by RV’s Client Services (once the client agrees to proceed), to the point where the project files are delivered, after which RV Client Services will then carry out a debrief with the client.
- Attend client discovery (kick-off) meetings and recce, assisting clients with brief writing.
- Responsible for using RV’s project time logging software on all chargeable project tasks and reporting completed projects to our HE video traffic manager for our monthly Resource & Efficiency report
- Assemble the internal creative team and lead on the development of creative concepts, storyboards (designer to assist) and the writing of scripts and treatments.
- Liaise with clients throughout the pre-production process, discussing creative elements and scheduling for a shoot
- Create, review and approve shoot schedules and make decisions on the most appropriate crew members for a shoot.
- Responsibility for booking project resources for all of your projects (both internal team and freelancers) for both on location crew (camera ops, sound recordist etc.) and post-production team (editors, motion graphics etc.)
- Responsibility for any castings required for your projects (students, actors, voice artists etc.)
- Final approval of kit requirements for on location shoots and responsible for managing the booking of kit via internal booking system or external kit hire
- Manage the client and crew on location, two to eight-person crews, directing actors & students, interviewing subjects (required occasionally) and liaising with the client.
- Full post-production creative direction and internal review of your projects
- Final (post-production) approval of all projects that you are responsible for.
- Ultimate responsibility for the budget spend on your projects.
- Advise the Client Services team on quoting for video projects.
- Working away – Client Discovery meetings and location shoots are likely to result in the need for you to spend an average of three to four nights per month staying in a hotel.
There are sometimes opportunities outside of the essential remits for a person to add value in an area where they have a particular interest or expertise.
- Assist Client Services with the creation of proposals and client pitching.
- Pre-project scoping meetings with client services team attended in project specialist capacity.
- Advise on technical production elements such as lighting plans, equipment hire/purchases and any other elements that contribute towards shooting the next level of professional high production value videos for RV.
Key Skills, Experience & General Outlook
To be considered for this role you will need to meet all of the “Essential” items listed in both the “Key Skills” and “Experience” sections. To achieve the upper-level of the salary range you must provide evidence that you exceed a number of the “Essential” items and meet or exceed a number of the ”Desirable” items listed in both the “Key Skills” and “Experience” sections.
- A sound understanding of visual composition and the ability to direct talent and manage, motivate and co-ordinate a video crew in order to capture an intended vision/aesthetic whilst managing the usual challenges of working on location.
- The ability to listen and consider the comments and advice given by team members whilst having the confidence to operate autonomously and make sound judgement calls based upon your experience and the evidence presented to you in any given situation.
- Exceptional communication skills, offering clients professional reassurance and security – the client is to feel that they are in experienced and safe hands.
- The ability to quickly grasp sophisticated client requirements, solve client problems, arrive at a solution and eloquently communicate the solution.
- The ability to quickly and accurately critique a video, clearly articulating points using technical terminology when discussing with an editor and more simplistic terms when discussing with a client.
- Ability to read, manage and produce Gantt charts.
- The ability to come up with great creative concepts with speed and to communicate your vision with clarity and passion when relaying your ideas to clients and the RV internal team.
- At least three years of experience as Producer/Director in a commercial capacity, working on corporate commercial projects
- At least one year of experience working within a digital agency or video production company
- Produced/Directed numerous videos with at least five crew members
- Proven experience of delivering multiple projects within tight time-frames
- A portfolio of outstanding video work at least as good as RV’s current videos
- Produced/Directed numerous videos with more than five crew members
- Experience of working closely with a highly skilled DOP
- A background in camera operating and/or editing
- Five years or more of management experience
- Over five years of experience working in a digital agency that employs 20 or more staff
- Experience of conducting shoots in a studio
- An insatiable passion for film making with an energetic and positive approach to work
- You need to be calm under pressure and resilient, whilst you will be paid overtime or be able to take that time back in lieu, there will be long days when shooting and attending client discovery meetings
Working at RV
Revolution Viewing is a leading Creative Digital Agency that produces world-class solutions. We are a team of 28 people and operate as niche specialists at the top of our game; this is why over 90 UK universities and some of the UK’s largest home builders keep coming back for more!
Working from Home/Office
Like many businesses, RV’s employees have supported the government’s efforts and followed their advice by working from home for an extended period. During this time RV has been able to maintain its operations and close-knit culture (lots of hard graft and video calls followed by virtual Friday afternoon drinks!) As such, the Board is keen to provide employees with the flexibility to choose working patterns and working locations (office, home, hybrid) that will support their work-life balance, maintain our great working culture and encourage team collaboration.
Businesses will be returning to their offices (in some capacity) throughout the summer of 2021 and RV will be no different. But, how we use our office space moving forwards will be different and it will be driven by our culture, our needs and ultimately our people!
Work-life balance manifesto
The feedback we receive from our team suggests that this is an unusual policy for an agency, hence the mention here in the job spec. This is from Tom, our CEO: “You will get paid for the hours you work or you will be given the time back.” Quite simply, you will never be asked to work more hours than contracted, without receiving that time back in lieu or being paid overtime.
Please note: other than your lunch break, we do not accommodate smoking breaks.
10 Reasons to Apply for a Role with Revolution Viewing
- We produce sector-leading digital media products
- Our team tell us RV is a great place to work
- Our clients love what we do and our client satisfaction is extremely high
- Every three months we have a team meal (to return post-covid!)
- Holiday loyalty scheme – extra holidays for years of service
- Individual objectives set in annual appraisals and progress reviewed in monthly 1:1 meeting with your line manager
- We have a Work-life Balance Manifesto that is policy!
- Potential for a team-wide bonus from our RV Bonus Scheme
- We share our strategy, including mission, direction and financial progress
- We offer a thorough induction and comprehensive training for your career
Our Core Values
These values are a key consideration when hiring a new team member; we need to feel each team member shares these values:
- Respect for people
- Veritably fun working environment (contribution to)
- Sustainable progression (we don’t make rash decisions that jeopardise the company)
- Honesty & integrity
- Innovative & dynamic
- Passion & pride (in all we do)
- See top of this page for the application deadline.
- Send your email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Your application must include the following information:
- Please let us know how soon you could start if you are offered a job
- Let us know where you heard about this vacancy
- As part of our recruitment process we will be conducting 1st stage interviews (via video call) before inviting successful candidates to assessment/2nd stage interviews at our offices. The dates of the 1st stage interviews will be Thu 17th & Fri 18th March (times for video interviews will be confirmed with candidates following the application deadline). Please let us know if you can be available on these dates. Note: you will only be required to attend one of these dates
- Applicants successful at the 1st interview stage will then be invited to assessment/2nd stage interview at our offices. The dates for assessment/2nd stage interview will be Wed 23rd & Tue 29th March, approx. 10.30am to 5pm – however, times will be confirmed following 1st stage interviews. Again, please let us know if you can be available on these dates and again, you will only be required to attend one of these dates. Note: whilst this session is long in duration, we make our decision based on this one session. Feedback suggests candidates find it useful spending this time in our working environment (COVID-19 guidelines permitting)
- Attach your current CV
- Attach a 10-line cover letter outlining how you will add value to our company
Please note: the successful candidate must, by the start of their employment, have permission to work in the UK.
For updates on Revolution Viewing and any vacancies, we recommend you follow us on our social media channels.
How will RV use the information about you?
We will use your data to process your application, including complying with any legal obligations, to enable us to manage the recruitment process. We will only share your data with relevant parties as part of our recruitment process and we will not share your data for marketing or employment purposes outside of RV. For more information on RV’s job applicant privacy notice, please follow this link.
No recruitment agencies – thank you.